Saturday, October 23, 2004

Social interactions are inherently funny. Perhaps this is because humans are essentially oversized, hairless rodents. But I think it's also because, when you get right down to it, we make no sense. My favorite, and most vexing example comes from two friends talking together:

Guy friend: Man I miss sex.
Girl Acquaintance: Me too.
Guy: ...
Girl: OK, good night.

If this is not immediately absurd to you, try replacing "have sex" with other phrases, like, "gain intimacy", "engage in a meaningful soulful discussion" or "continue this conversation for more than one sentence." My point is: mutual desire is a quorum in all these circumstances.

To clarify, allow me to gloss the above conversation with my favorite metaphor for physical intimacy.

Guy: I want waffles.
Girl: Funny you mention that, I happen to have a giant surplus of waffles, personally.
Guy: (suggestively) Y'know, you could give me some waffles.
Girl: No, that would be weird. I'm going to go try to give away my waffles. Bye.

Only two things have changed here. One, the suggestion is now voiced, whereas before it was implied. But you don't want to be hooking up with a girl who can't read ellipses anyhow. And second, replacing sex with waffles. And if you think that substantively changes the discussion, well then, my friend, I think you haven't been having the right kind of waffles.

No comments: