Monday, April 11, 2005

Dr. Foster's Dictionary: 12 April, 2005

In honor of the 250th anniversary of the publication of Dr. Johnson's Dictionary--the tome that didn't so much define the English language as it did unleash it upon subsequent generations of poets and philologists--I thought I'd go out on a limb and post excerpts from a work in progress I hope will one day replace my fellow Pembrokian's. Today's entries come from the section on comparative ideological taxonomy:

lib·er·al
n.

2. Someone who prefers the message of Neil Young's "Southern Man" to that of Lynrd Skynrd's "Sweet Home Alabama". Jones is a classic liberal vis-a-vis classic rock.

Know-Noth·ing
n.

4. Someone who prefers listening to Neil Young's "Southern Man" over Lynrd Skynrd's "Sweet Home Alabama". Sean has displayed disturbing Know-Nothing tendencies of late.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, I've always thought of myself as more of a nihilist than a Know-Nothing. But then again, how the fuck am I supposed to know what's "true"?