Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Lowered Decision Expectations

Well, after weeks of turmoil and strife, the Ukraine is calm. Night has fallen, the birds are humming doo-wop, &c. And how was this Balkanesque dispute settled? By a Herculean margin of victory with Yuschenko pulling down (drumroll) 51.99% of the vote.

Wait, what? Less than 2% above even can now count as an irrevocable mandate of the masses? Well, I guess this is what we've been preparing ourselves for all these years. It's all been downhill since Reagan in 1984, when Mondale's mother sat little Walt-Walt down and said, "I'm sorry, honey, but he just seems so honest and damn loveable" before casting her vote for that proto-Schwarzenegger.

I mean, in Washington, people are basically just accepting the race is over because the current winner now leads by a commanding 130 votes. This is after she was losing by 261 votes after the initial count, and on the second recount. But, this is 13 times as large as the lead she first had: 10 votes. 10 votes! I've personally lost campaigns by a wider margin (I would have made a great homeroom representative).

But what use is just ranting? I guess I should just sit back and learn to love an electoral system that can be decided by someone nudging the voting booth a bit too heavily.

-D"TILT!"an

No comments: